Court Debt Claims
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
Debt value Court fee Our fee (incl. VAT) Total
Up to £5,000 £35 to £205.00* £250.00 (£60 VAT) £345.00- £515.00
£5,001 – £10,000 £455.00 £350.00 (£70 VAT) £875.00
£10,001 – £50,000 5% of the value of the claim £500.00 (£100.00 VAT £600.00 plus Court fee
£50,001 – £100,000 5% of the value of the claim £750.00 (£150.00 VAT £900.00 plus Court fee
*Dependent on the amount of the claim
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from the debtor if your business is registered for VAT.
- Interest may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as a High Court Enforcement Officer, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
- When Judgement in default is received, writing to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within 21 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Matters usually take 6-12 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
The Lawyers who undertake debt recovery work at Hart Jackson & Sons are
Jeremy Tennyson – Partner
Jeremy is the head of our litigation team and has more than 20 years’ experience in litigation work specialising in Civil Litigation including debt collection.
Jeremy has a BA (Hons) degree in History & Religious Studies and qualified as a solicitor in 1999 following attendance at the University of the West of England where he completed the Graduate Diploma in law course and the Legal Practice Course.
Jeremy is assisted by Alison Field.
Alison is a legal assistant in the litigation team and has more than 15 years’ experience supporting our litigation and family departments.
Alison graduated from the University of Central Lancaster in 2006 where she achieved her LLB (Hons) degree in Law.